Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chemo Countdown: 38 hours

Today, I made a few more rounds on my farewell, pre-chemo tour.  I also bought the last of my chemo supplies and finished my "Honey Do" list.  The only thing I have left is a haircut and enjoying my last full day pre-chemo.

We did have one set back today.  I went to pick up one of the prescriptions that will keep me from getting sick from the chemo and the pharmacy said my insurance was rejecting it.  I told the pharmacist that the doctor said sometimes insurance companies don't like to pay for particular drugs, when I was informed that was not the case, my insurance company said I was no longer insured.  That is something you don't really want to hear before racking up another series of medical bills.  Luckily the over-the-counter version of this particular medication is just as good, but obviously that wouldn't be picked up by my insurance company, if I had insurance.  So, my wife (that I fully admit is the money person in the relationship, I don't understand all that stuff) spent several hours on the phone talking to my former employer's headquarters benefit office.  What's funny is every time we call, which has been quite frequently since I have been laid off, they inform us that they have problems with my particular former office and that they are always screwing up.  If headquarters knows this and tells random callers that there is a problem there, why isn't it being addressed?!?!  Luckily, the people at headquarters are fairly nice, and the people they send us to at the insurance company are really nice.  Maybe it was because they wanted a big fat C.O.B.R.A. check, but they were still nice.  Thank God for computers.  Between the two of them, they saw that the paperwork for C.O.B.R.A. was sent in about two weeks past when it was supposed to, so since it was no fault of ours, they are retroactively giving us insurance.  The only problem is that we are already getting bills that are bouncing back rejected.  And again luckily, the doctors' offices have all been pretty understanding about it.  At least I think they are.  We will see what they do to me when they strap me down for chemo Friday.  They may lean over, whisper in my ear and say, "When the bills are paid, you get the antidote."  Let's hope that doesn't happen, that could be several phone calls before that happens.  

Outside of that, it was a good day.  One of the things I am told to avoid is touching my eyes, nose, or mouth.  The medicine I have been on for my tummy problems for the past nine years, dries me out a lot, causing me to frequently touch my eyes, nose, and mouth.  I thought the best way to combat this was to get hand sanitizer and boxes of Kleenexes and place them everywhere I may possibly be in the house.  Hopefully, they will be a very visual reminder that when my eyes or nose tingle from drying out, I can't just rub them like I normally do. I will squirt some alcohol, grab a tissue, rub, then toss the tissue, re-alcohol, until the twitch happens again, which should be about the time I finish with the routine from the first twitch.  So, I will probably be walking around the house for the next four weeks reeking of rubbing alcohol and aloe and have spots of white tissue dust all over my face, with carpal tunnel from all the sanitizing, rubbing, wiping, tossing, and re-sanitizing.  I guess it's a good thing I am staying away from people during all of this.  Now tomorrow, I just need to place all of my supplies.  I also need to restock my mini-fridge by shoving it full of all the healthy crap I am told I will need to keep hydrated.  Grape juice, low acid no pulp orange juice, apple juice, caffeine-free (even the words make me cry) Pepsi, and enough Gatorade to dump over the Cincinnati Bengals (provided they ever won a game that warranted Gatorade being dumped on them, but they do have more crappy reality show stars than any other NFL team, goooo Bengals!).  The food I have stockpiled is slowly being pilfered, which is funny, because I haven't been in the house enough to pilfer it.  I guess next time I bring in a truckload of Little Debbies snack cakes, I will have to hide them.

Finally, I finished the last of my crappy tasks that I had to finish before chemo (and I mean that quite literally).  My wife decided five years ago it would be cool to get these cute little turtles about the size of a bottle cap on vacation (we were on vacation, not the turtles, they were busy swimming, pretending to be cute, and acting like they wouldn't grow).  Now the turtles have grown to be just shy of the size of a dinner-plate.  Any bigger and the SyFy network would make a very crappy made-for-TV movie about them terrorizing some hick Midwestern town, and it would inevitably star Eric Roberts (he has the worst luck for running into giant mutant animals that eat innocent hillbillies).   I told my wife when she got the cute little turtles, that I was OK with her getting them, but I was not going to have anything to do with them.  I was able to stick by that even when they grew to the size that they are now and neighborhood hillbillies and paperboys started turning up missing.  Today things changed.  Somehow she conned a doctor into saying that she needs to stay away from them for a while, because they can be carriers of salmonella.  And, since my immune system is about to be knocked down to nothing on Friday, I had to clean their tank out today.  That was the grossest thing I have ever done, and one summer in college I had a job that involved me helping pump out outdoor pit toilets.  The smell of cleaning their filter was pretty close to that smell.  The only real difference it, I don't think that a whole summer's worth of State Park poo equaled what I found in the turtle filter.  Plus, the State Park toilets never had bones of drifters and turtle shell pieces in there.  When the doctor clears her to clean that tank again, I think I am personally going to leave a nice steaming present in that filter for her.  But at least my chores are done.  My eyes and nose are still burning.  I don't know if it is from all the dust I kicked up mowing and raking leaves for five hours yesterday, or if it is from being exposed to turtle poo, but my eyes are so bloodshot I look like I have taken up medical marijuana after swimming in a pool with a 50/50 solution of chlorine and urine (I am a former lifeguard, so unfortunately I know what that's like too).  

But all in all it was a good day.  Tomorrow I can rest and just do what I want to do the day before chemo.  I can eat whatever I want tomorrow and not feel bad about whether it's healthy or not (even my wife gave me permission to do that, and we all know how mean she normally is), and I got to say "see you later" to a few friends before I get thrown into the chemo gulag.  Thirty-eight more hours of freedom!  But I better hurry up and get to bed.  It is past my curfew and I don't want my wife to ground me on my last free day!

3 comments:

  1. Oh the smell of turtle poo and oh how I miss it! Now, might I say you might as well unveil your big secret, 'cause I think I guessed it already. That is super big news. Anyway, hope the chemo goes as well as chemo can go. And, yes, the Bengals will never need that much Gatorade, however the Steelers do come to town once a year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please let the cat out of the bag. I'm so super proud of you and can't hardly wait for that blog posting. I'll be sending good karma and lots of prayers your way, my brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Luck tomorrow and I will see you soon! Keep me posted via text!

    ReplyDelete