Monday, May 9, 2011

"If I Leave You It Doesn't Mean I Love You Any Less"

For the second day in a row I am starting off with a Warren Zevon quote.  While Warren was dying of mesothelioma he wrote a song to his wife with the line "if I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less".  It was a touching line when I first heard it and a much more powerful line after my cancer diagnosis.  I think the first reaction when you are diagnosed, is to wonder if you are going to survive.  The second reaction is if you don't survive, what will that do to your family?  What a brilliantly simple way of expressing how we feel.  If cancer takes us, it doesn't mean that we want to go.

I "graduated" from the Wellness Community this week.  I won't say I am 100% over all of this stuff, heck for one thing I haven't officially been released from the urologist yet, but cancer is no longer the prevailing thought in my mind anymore.  Granted there are other things going on in my life right now that are taking my focus off that crap, which is a good thing.  I don't know if I would feel this far removed from cancer otherwise, but the point is I do and that's all that matters.  It's hard to believe my cancerversary is coming up in just a few months!

The Wellness Community and more importantly the people in my support group have been very...well supportive.  I was hoping there would be a big crowd there so I could say "bye", but there was only the facilitator and one other guy, who happened to be my favorite guy and the one that helped me the most.  This particular guy (without giving any identifying information, which is a no-no for a support group) has lived with cancer for literally decades.  Not a survivor, LIVED WITH CANCER as in still has cancer!  There is another in my group that has lived with cancer for about a decade as well.  Do you know how comforting that is to someone who just got diagnosed?   Even if you aren't cured, here is living proof that you can live with cancer and look like a normal non-cancer-having person!  And the thing I was most impressed with these two individuals was they were the most upbeat of the group.  They weren't cursing their maker or bitter at the world.  They were positive.  With just my favorite guy in my final meeting, I was able to spend a lot of time telling him just how important he has been to my emotional recovery.  I wish there were a couple of others there that I wanted to thank, but that's what e-mail is for.

Now to complain about my group for just one second.  One thing I did get off my chest was there was an incredibly negative individual that almost caused me to quit the group.  This person was CURED but didn't want to believe it and spent the whole meeting going on about how if you had cancer once it stays in you forever and it can pop up anytime, even if the doctor says you are in remission or even cured.  That is not something I wanted to be around just out of my surgery and facing chemotherapy.  Luckily, the lady from the No Boobs About It blog warned me that there is one of those people in every group, to just try to ignore them.  I am glad she told me that.  The only other complaint I have with my group (and people in general) sometimes when life looks the darkest, people give up on you.  Most cancer patients have ups and downs in their care, and some people in the group would start referring to people in the past tense that were struggling in their fight.  The whole time Monty Python and the Holy Grail was running through my head "I'm not dead yet..."  All of the people referred to in the past tense have gotten better!  Thank God (literally) that they had better outlooks on their own lives than some of their supporters.

But all in all, I loved the Wellness Community and the support everyone gave me.  I didn't really want to leave, but I didn't feel it was right for me to be there anymore, since I feel less and less like a cancer patient and more like a cancer survivor.  I wanted to thank everyone for what they did with a gift, however I couldn't just give gifts because I am still unemployed and don't have a lot of money flowing in right now.  I would have liked to cook something and bring it in (and let's just pretend for a moment that my cooking is tolerable) but when you are on chemo, you can be super sensitive to tastes and smells (I still won't touch pasta and shun salt, two things I enjoyed before chemo) so food is not even allowed inside the room we meet in.  So that left me with my favorite thing, music.

Not only have I worked extensively in music running record stores, as a club DJ, and even with a record company being required to hang out with rock stars for three years, but I have always used music to alter my mood and relate to others.  Back in the day, years before I even met my wife (if she is reading this) I would make mix tapes and CD's to open doors to hot girls that would inevitably ask for more CDs and less of me.  More recently, I boil my music collection to moods.  I have several CDs I put together just to keep me awake on roadtrips.  I have CDs I made to listen to just when I want to sing loud in the car with no one around.  I have a CD I made to listen to when you are in a pissed off mood (which I largely gathered from my wife's music collection, I don't know what that means, I'm just saying...).  And I have made CDs just to put me in a good mood.  So that is what I did, I made CDs for my group, happy CDs.  You know, songs that are just impossible to be sad while listening to, stuff like LFO's Summer Girls, Spice Girls' Wannabe, and Hanson's MmmBop...OK, I am lying, I like most people over the age of two and with most of their faculties hate those songs.  That was just a list of my sister's CD collection.  (The funny thing here, is I have to approve all comments before they are posted, so there is no way for her to refute this on my page.  But I am sure there will be retribution on hers.)  But I did put together a list of twenty songs from 1952 to the mid 1990s that just make you feel good.  I don't know if they will appreciate them or not, but even if they don't, at least I gave them a new shiny coaster.

So Thursday, Warren's lyrics held a different meaning to me.  I didn't want to leave the friendships, but it was time for me to leave the group.  And although I can't specifically identify people or illnesses, I will vaguely take a moment to say some "thank yous".  Thank you Bill for showing me how one person can face cancer and act like...well someone that doesn't have cancer.  Thank you Susan for having that magic folder where much like a Magic 8 Ball, you ask a question, you reach your hand in, and pull out a print out with the answer.  Thank you Ann for showing just how hard one human can fight, and still retain grace and dignity the whole time.  Thank you Cary for taking a bad situation and turning it around for something good.  And most of all thank you Ned, no doubt your family sacrificed a great deal for the benefit of so many others, and I will never be able to express my gratitude sufficiently.  And there are many others at the group that helped me, and I don't mean to play favorites here...but I am (did).  And it's not like anyone actually reads these anyway, so there is not really anyone to offend with an omission.  Even though I didn't place that Warren Zevon song (Keep Me In Your Heart For A While) on the CD I made, because although very poignant and beautiful it's also incredibly depressing, I graduate from and depart the Wellness Community with those words in my heart and mind, "If I leave you it doesn't mean I love you any less".

No comments:

Post a Comment