Monday, October 18, 2010

100 Pound Head and 3 Noxious Clouds

If the absence of a blog wasn't enough of a clue, I will fill you in, yesterday was a bad day.  Ever since this started, my head started feeling like it weighed about one hundred pounds (about forty five kilograms to my metric friends).  At the same time, I couldn't focus on anything.  I had several books that I had set aside to read that have just one or two page sections.  Even that was too much to concentrate on.  Last night, I decided I couldn't take it anymore.  I read through my chemo packet to see what could be done about it, and I don't find this sort of thing listed.  As I flip through and it turns out it was the medication to help chemo go smoother that was causing it!  The same medication that I started taking religiously, because I was under the mistaken impression that it would help me feel better.  My wife had to call the doctor for me, I couldn't even focus on that.  Somehow during their conversation they realize that my wife has a medication that she has laying around that doubles as a chemo med. There is a part of me that is curious as to why this med is laying around and how it came up in conversation, but at the time, me and my hundred pound head didn't care.  That has certainly helped and my head is down to about fifty pounds today and shrinking.

Another one of the side effects of chemo is a hypersensitivity to smells.  I guess that is why my wife decided to cook chili yesterday (a food that I hate) and stink up the whole house and houses we plan on moving to in the future.  She was very apologetic once she realized what happened, so I couldn't be mad.  So I decided to escape the Black Pepper Death and go up and organize things in my workshop.  It was there that my mother-in-law decided to start the lawn tractor.  I heard her head over there and started to run as fast as a guy with one nut and an open wound can run, but it was too late.  She started it.  She wasn't wanting to do anything, just see if it would start.  Of course, it ran rough spewing out all kinds of malodorous aromas, and basically creating a grey cloud of exhaust stench in the area I was working, which matched the chili cloud at the house.  I stepped outside waiting for it to clear, but it was too late.  It had already taken up residence in my clothes.  So, at this point I can't stand the smell of my workshop, the smell of my house, or the smell of myself.  I guess it was time for me to take a shower anyway.

And of course the regular chemo side effects did kick in as well.  A couple times I felt nauseous.  But most of the time I had the rear attack occur, something I believe the Germans refer to as "der Puup und Schpladder".  However, today is already been a big improvement over yesterday.  I am supposedly over the chemo hump as most of the poison should be exiting my system today, even if it is sometimes exiting at a very high velocity, at least it is exiting.  Hopefully by tomorrow I will feel a lot better and able to write a much longer, much more boring blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment