Monday, October 11, 2010

All Babies Returned in the Same Condition I Received Them

What a difference a day makes!  I don't know if it was coincidence, people reading my blog, or both, but today happened to be a pretty good day.

As I have mentioned earlier, chemo starts Friday, and I am rushing to get myself prepared, do the things I need to do before chemo, and say hi to people before I sequester myself for the next month.  First of all, I received many well wishes from people who have read my blog.  Thank you very much!  The people that contacted me today have been good supporters throughout this, and it was good to hear from them again today.  Of course, I have been running around so much today, I have yet to e-mail them back.  Great way to thank my supporters, they e-mail me good tidings, and I ignore them all day.  No wonder I don't have more support.

Then out of the blue, my car show buddy called and asked if I could do lunch.  Since my life right now only involves doctors' appointments and endless internet surfing, I decided I could move some things around and go to lunch.  He showed up in the car he hid from his wife for a few days (what a great idea, why didn't I think about that?!?!) and we ran off to start complaining about prescription companies.  After talking about how his mail order prescription company was shortchanging him, delaying his prescriptions, and giving him the runaround, I tell him about my similar experiences with my mail order prescriptions.  Then it dawned on us that we were talking about the same company!  At least they are consistent.  Shortly after that, I message another friend and we arrange lunch for later on this week.  For a guy with nothing to do and no friends, my social calendar is getting pretty busy!

Next I had received a text from a friend that she had given birth this morning.  My wife and I made our way over to the hospital where my little frozen babies are, at which point my wife reminded me that even though I may have done that certain activity the last few times I was in this medical complex, I was under no circumstances allowed to do it this time.  Good thing too, they didn't have any of the magazines or videos I had been accustomed to on my previous visits here.  We get up to her room and see a brand spanking new baby.  I hold her in my arms (the baby, not my friend), and I realize I have never held a baby this small before.  I never realized how tiny those things are when they are first hatched.  I also didn't know that you are supposed to make a "baby burrito" out of them either.  I think I was holding a complete baby, I at least know I was holding a bunch of tightly bundled blankets with a tiny smiling head poking out.  I assume all the other parts were in the blanket tortilla somewhere.  I held her for a long time (for me) and after about two minutes I handed her off to my wife and to my surprise, I didn't break her, which is always my fear when holding babies.  I hope when we have ours in has an owner's manual or at the very least a tag somewhere that explains the correct way to fold a baby burrito.  Soon more people poured in and the room started getting a little crowed.  I figured I had made it this far without breaking any babies, I should probably quit while I was ahead and leave.  I have an almost spotless record of only breaking one baby.  My sister.  But I only broke her arm, and to be honest, she was kind of asking for it.  OK, she wasn't asking for it, she was just laying there, but she should have been paying attention and moved out of the way when I executed an almost perfect flip, which has a pretty high difficulty score for a eight year old.  I would like to keep my baby breaking record completely clean, except for the one blemish, but I don't think family should count, especially when it was her fault.

We ended up the day by stopping by and getting the last of my chemo food rations.  We left with a cart full from Sam's Club, so I should be able to survive as a hermit for my four weeks of dealing with chemo.  And if we have miscalculated and the chemo makes me not want any of the stuff we bought (which we are told is entirely possible), I have enough food to last through a nuclear winter or two.

So today ended pretty well.  I heard from some good friends.  Got to see a few more.  I have my food pantry stocked with chemo food.  All I have left to do is a couple of things on the "Honey Do" list and prep a for a few projects that I hope I will be able to work on while dealing with chemo.  Outside of that, I may try to squeeze in a couple more meetings with friends before my four weeks in solitary confinement.  This week is shaping up to be a pretty good one.  All that AND no broken babies!

1 comment:

  1. It was NOT my fault. I was innocently laying in the grass enjoying the beautiful California weather when you attacked me.

    ReplyDelete