Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Braving The Cold, ReInjury, and Snakes...

Today I tempted fate and went up to my shop to finish the job that has injured my incision so many times before.  However, I was successful this time...except for my incision hurting a little bit...

My shop is unheated and small animals seem to be able to breach my security without a problem (my security being strategically placed rat and mouse traps).  If I am up there often, just my presence usually scares away the small mammals...well, my presence and the sound of talk radio.  And it is important to scare off the small mammals because that is what the small snakes eat.  And if they eat enough of them, they become big snakes.  Let me just say that today there was evidence of that there may have been a lot of small mammals in there at some point.  And that is exactly why I tend to do straightening up in my shop when it is really cold.  That way any snakes that are still hanging around are moving slow and thus can easily fall victim to my whacking stick (some tool my father-in-law gave me before he died that looks absolutely medieval but does a good job severing tree limbs, roots, and snakes).  It is supposed to get even colder later this week, and that is when I will really get into the areas that vermin like to hide.  It is all part of my new plan to get rid of stuff I haven't used in a while and that I don't ever really plan on using again.  I think the Goodwill my get a large donation of my crap this week.

My main goal today was to finally put away all of the tools my grandfather had given me right before I had all of this cancer crap happen.   They were tools from from my great grandfather's collection, so it is kinda neat to now have them in my collection.  My parent's had bought me a new tool box for the additional tools for my birthday when I tore my incision in November.  And since I like my work area to be aesthetically pleasing, I had to rearrange all my tools, which is probably why I hurt myself in the first place.  But, I made sure everything had its place and I was even able to spread out some of my stuff so it wasn't so crowded in my drawers (go ahead and make your own "one nut" joke here).  And we thing I realized when I was finished, is that I have room for more tools!  By the way, I made that same statement to my wife and got the skunk eye from her.

Even though I saw giant snakeskins today and overdid it physically and froze my ball off in the cold, I feel really good about today.  I am finally starting to be able to do the stuff I want to do.  I am able to push myself a little further every day without really injuring myself.  And I have finished a project that I started back in August, right before my diagnosis.  It is funny how the plethora of doctors' appointments this month keep reminding me that I am still a cancer patient, yet as the days go by I seem to be proving that I am not a cancer victim.  Now if I can just manage to stay injury free while I clean out the rest of the area...

No comments:

Post a Comment