Monday, February 7, 2011

Things To Do During The Superbowl...

Normally during the Superbowl, my wife and I try to do stuff that is usually crowded.  Wait, am I allowed to say Superbowl (Trademark, Copyright, Patent Pending, etc.) or do I have to say "Big Game"?  First of all, I am not real sure why most people watch anyway.  At the beginning of the season if you said that this team made up players that a lot of people can't stand is playing this team that is made up of players most people have never heard of, no one would have given two cold craps, but because it decides who is best this year everyone has to watch it (the italics in this case indicate sarcasm).  Many people say that they just watch for the commercials, which might have been relevant five to ten years ago, but in recent history you can watch the commercials on-line without having to sit through the stupid game.  Plus, you can skip over the ones you have seen before or that you are just not interested in.  And the beauty of watching them on-line, is now you can watch Superbowl commercials BEFORE THE SUPERBOWL!  I watched Darth VW earlier this week, and didn't have to sit through crappy musical performances to see it.  Although I will admit I am just taking Yahoo!'s word for the musical performances, but when someone on the comments section writes "I was high and it still sucked" it must have sucked pretty bad.  And having never been high, I am also taking people's word that being high makes you listen to crappy music, but having spent nearly 10 years in various aspects of the music business I can say there definitely seems to be a direct correlation between being high and crappy music...or "jam band" as they like to call it.  The correlation also goes for bad dancing styles, wardrobe, grammar, logic, and hygiene.

Anyway, this year we decided to just go shopping during the big game.  The stores were empty (especially the tool store!) and we were able to get in and out with minimal aggravation.  Well, except for the aggravation of waiting for my wife to finish shopping.  We were a little worried at the grocery store, because the parking lot was packed.  Once inside it looked empty.  I am assuming everyone ran in for the things they forgot for their Superbowl party and ran back out again.  I base this assumption on seeing people run in, grab something and run back out again.  The strangest one was the guy that ran, full sprint, grabbed a large package of toilet paper and a twelve pack of generic orange soda.  That has to be the worst Superbowl party ever!  Especially if you are the one waiting for the toilet paper delivery.  (I can just imagine the guy on the pot saying "Dammit Jerry, why did you have to waste time getting the generic orange soda, didn't you know I was sitting here with mudbutt?!?!")

What always bothers me about the Superbowl, is that most TV networks assume everyone is watching the Superbowl, so they don't show anything new of their own, and usually they rerun crap.  Maybe if networks would run something else to watch, people wouldn't sit at home with their flipper saying "looks like nothing is on, I guess I'll flip over to the Big Game to watch a commercial".  This was NOT the case for me.  I have been in heaven for most of the day...well the part of the day I wasn't waiting for my wife to finish shopping.  Top Gear (UK, the real one.  The one that is actually funny and entertaining.) has been running a marathon all weekend and will continue until 5am Tuesday morning.  So, you know where I will be until 5am Tuesday morning.  My dilemma is there has also been a marathon of Gearz.  I have been flipping back and forth between the show about guys who don't know how to work on cars (which is part of what makes the show funny) that drive cars I will never afford or the guy that makes cars we can all afford into cars that are as fast and as cool as the cars most of us can never afford.  One of the best dilemmas I have ever had to deal with.  Much better than that I-am-sick-and-have-to-poop-and-puke-at-the-same-time-and-don't-know-which-mess-I-want-to-clean-up dilemma.

I had better get off of here, I am actually missing two shows I really enjoy.  Then later I will get on-line and watch the commercials for the Superbowl that I didn't see before the game and read how much everyone hated the music.  I don't think I missed much at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment