Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Sometimes A Late Night Is Just A Late Night

Last night I planned on writing as soon as I finished my project.  But at 4am I didn't feel much like writing.  The good news is, I can tell it not scanxiety related insomnia, because if it were, I would be ready to do the same thing again, but I am not.  I have been dead tired all day.

I doubt I am alone.  If you are doing a boring, tedious project (especially if it is for someone else) sometimes you are glad to find an excuse to quit that project and do something else, even if that something else is sleep.  When the project is your hobby and it is something you are excited to finish, nothing will get in your way.  And that is what my issue was last night.  I only had a few things left to finish, and I didn't want to wake up with a mess in the floor reminding me that I can't play until I finish what I had started.

I had also planned on writing the night before, but in preparation for my pet project, I decided to clean to the equipment I was installing last night.  Two hours of scrubbing later and my wrists were shot and flopping around like a sock monkey's arms.  I could barely hold my Pepsi much less write.  And I said barely hold on to my Pepsi.  Even if I were just a head, I could find a way to drink my Pepsi.

So, with my late night romp last night, my wife accused me of just being a normal insomniac and wanting me to find some prescription relief from my doctor.  There is a big difference between staying up late occasionally and scanxiety insomnia or even regular insomnia.  For instance, with my scanxiety, I went to bed only out of habit and then usually just laid there staring at the ceiling for another hour or two.  I could get four hours of sleep or less and be ready to do it all over again the next day.  Last night, I was dead tired when I finished my project and I think I actually fell asleep on the way to the bed.  And today, even though I slept in late, my butt has been dragging all day.  I don't think I will have any trouble getting to sleep tonight.

Outside of last night, ever since my oncologist appointment, my sleep pattern is almost that of a normal human being.  Hopefully this means my wife will quit bugging me about needing some sort of sleep aid, until my scanxiety returns in three months with my next oncologist appointment, then we can start all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment