Tuesday, November 9, 2010

I Feel Good Enough To Look Like An Idiot

Today I started to slowly move back into my routine.  I am starting to put more and more stress on my surgery.  I meet with that doctor on Monday, and this may sound weird, but I am afraid he will release me because I don't feel like I am ready for it yet.  There are still certain things that I do where I feel a little tug at the site of my surgery.  I may feel it when I am twisting my torso and trying to lift something with a little bit of weight to it, or if I am pulling something from left to right, or if my wife asks me to do anything I don't want to do like wash the car or go shopping.

The past two days, I have been both getting back to my old routine and testing the strength of my surgery by walking the dueling basenjis.  Daisy the abused one, will stay by my side and not put a bit of stress on me other than wondering how much longer I have to stand out in the cold in my Homer Simpson PJs before she will finally pee (that answer is, until the bus load of kids drives by to laugh at us).  Benny, the spoiled basenji however, acts much like Haley's comet in the sense he takes long elliptical orbits around me at a velocity nearing the speed of light.  Each pass by me ends with a sharp tug that I didn't notice before my surgery, but now sends a shock wave through my body.  I completely understand now how the moon affects the tides.  Regardless of how silly I look out there with my Homer pants and orbiting basenji, I do feel like I am slowly gaining strength.

Also today, a friend I haven't seen since chemo stopped by to take me out to lunch.  He was on the clock, but that didn't seem to bother him much.  I was able to walk at a normal speed, eat food that actually tasted like food, and got to hear plenty of stories that were wholly inappropriate for the lunchtime crowd at a small town Frisch's.  Maybe this chemo and surgery thing is finally gone.  He drops me back off after lunch, and I was feeling so good, that I fell asleep on the couch for a couple of hours.  I guess I am not as recovered as I thought I was, but I am making baby steps.

With my new found sense of freedom, I decided to work in my gardens.  Well, they are AeroGardens, but they are probably cheaper to maintain and a lot less work than a real garden.  In my attempt to try to eat healthier and expand my food palette to things that are green, I have replanted my garden and commandeered a second.  Well, I didn't really commandeer it, we bought if for my mother-in-law to grow tomatoes in the winter and after six months of growing it produced two tomatoes...small...and hard...in the middle of summer when there were plenty of other  bigger, not hard tomatoes around.  So, she regifted and gave the present back to me.  After my hours of toiling in the fields, up on the window sill, I planted lettuce and herbs.  Hopefully, I will be fully healed by the time they start producing so I can reap the bushels of fresh produce I will soon have.  And if history is any indicator, I should be healed just fine, and it will be summer.  I felt a little weird having two AeroGardens at once until I read their catalog this month and saw the article about the lady that has twenty three AeroGardens!  I am still not sure if that article was a sales pitch or a cautionary tale.  I am just wondering how many powerstrips it takes to supply electricity to twenty three different AeroGardens.  I am sure it's up to fire code.

Tomorrow I plan to push myself a little harder.  I may get back up in my workshop and see how that goes.  I can stand up there and stare at all the projects I wasn't able to complete this summer until I am tired and come back down to the house and cry myself to sleep.  Either that or I can just stand outside all day in my Homer PJs and let the dogs do their maypole dance around me.  If you hear little kids laughing on the school bus out my way, you will know which one I decided to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment