Monday, November 1, 2010

Do Mo's Help You Boss People Around?

I have slowly been getting better over the past two days.  I have slept a little better.  I still don't feel like I am getting "well rested" though.  Lately my attempts to catch little cat naps on the couch are interrupted by flying dogs as a basenji will soar onto the couch about the same time that I close my eyes.  I am getting cabin fever worse than ever now, and it's not just because of my health this time.

We have finally decided to get our fireplace fixed.  It requires me to stay here the whole time to tell them what to do.  Part of me feels bad, because they are doing some heavy lifting things, that they could certainly use a hand on, but I am still not able to lift that kind of weight.  Just getting the stuff out of the way for them about killed me!  Instead, I just stand around, watch them work hard, and tell them what to do.  This must be what my wife feels like.  No wonder she does it so much, it's kind of fun.  However, it's also kind of depressing.  I certainly don't want to just sit here doing nothing, I would like to pitch in when they need it.  After all, the sooner they finish, the sooner I can get back on the couch and waiting for the flying basenji show to happen next to me.  Also, the sooner I could leave and spend money I don't have.  And it's not that I am wanting to go out and spend stuff, I am just wanting to go out period.  I just wish I didn't feel exhausted by the time we got to the end of the driveway.

The only good thing about being stuck around here is Daisy, the abused and neglected rescue basenji, has been becoming more and more accepting of me with my recent house arrest.  Today she actually sought me out, which doesn't happen very often.  But what also doesn't happen very often is someone using a hammer drill on the fireplace causing the whole house to oscillate and beat to the point that it sounds like there is rave going on in the next room.  Maybe the noise scared her, or the vibrations, or maybe she just doesn't like raves, but she came down stairs and flew onto the couch, doubling its basenji population.

The workers say that the inside stuff will be done tomorrow, which means I will at least be able to do some things I have been putting off.  One of the things is e-mailing people back.  We have been through a lot the past couple of weeks, and all the well wishes and cards have been nice, certainly appreciated and in fact needed, but on the other hand, I have been putting off responding to them.  I guess that is my little way of avoiding the situation.  Don't get me wrong, I can certainly see the bright side of everything that has happened the past two weeks, but I don't know that I want to directly talk about it.  There are many people that did send their kind words, thoughts, and prayers to us and I kind of feel obligated to open up about things more to them.  In a way, I don't want to.  At least in this blog I can control the amount of information, and what information, I send out.  When someone is talking to you directly, you feel like you have to address the things they have said.  In my mind, it has been long enough since we have been through the worst of all of this, I can pretend nothing happened and just get back to talking to friends.  Does that seem right?  I don't know if it does or not, but that is what I am doing.  And the other thing I am doing...

Today is the first of MOvember.  I didn't shave my Mo today and I already feel like a Tom Selleck wannabe. I really don't know if I will be able to stand this for the whole month.  I am almost wishing I lose my hair so I will have an excuse.  You don't necessarily lose all hair from chemo.  Sometimes you just lose head hair, or head and facial, or head, facial and body, so if I lose my head hair, I may have to lie and shave off the Mo too. We will see.  My intent is to keep this Mo, as pathetic as my Mo may be, for the whole month of Movember.  I have decided on the Groucho Marx.  If that doesn't start conversations, I don't know what will.

So, that is my life now.  I am bossing around workers.  Laying on the couch rubbing basenji bellies.  Growing a mangy looking Mo.  And hopefully, getting around to returning tons of e-mails.  I guess there are a lot of people out there that would give their right nut to be in my position, but I did do that, and I am kind of growing tired of it now.  Oh well, the workers should only be here for two more days.  I should get released soon by the oncologist.  Then released from the urologist two weeks from today.  And I am alive and able to grow a Mo, so I guess I can't complain too much.

1 comment:

  1. I say, if someone sends you a get well card or wish and then gets mad if you don't respond, poo on them. If you were feeling well enough to resopnd, they wouldn't have sent you anything. Said from a person who is trying to dig through emails all while only allowed to sit for about 20 minutes a day. :P

    ReplyDelete