Monday, April 18, 2011

Taking A Houseplant, Worms, And My Wife On A Roadtrip

One of the things I have done for my wife in the past is take her on surprise trips.  In fact, my proposal to her was a surprise trip to Niagara Falls, where for the balance of the trip, rather than enjoy the beauty of the natural wonder, she stared at her recently acquired ring, studying to see if I remembered all the specifics she told me to make sure it had.  Since then I have surprised her with other trips like a trip to Holiday World (which has FREE Pepsi products!!!) and the Mothman Festival in Point Pleasant, West Virginia.  OK, so the quality of the surprise trips has definitely been declining.  Anyway, a very good friend had offered me her lakeside cabin for the weekend.  I call it a cabin, but it is more the size of an Army barracks, except the cabin can sleep more people.

Two months ago I started planning this trip as a cool, cheap thing an unemployed cancer patient can do for his wife's birthday.  It required me to make all sorts of plans, cover stories, basenji babysitters, and secret acquisitions of everything from the keys to the place and groceries to worms (for fishing).  This kept me a lot busier than I had thought it would.  Everyday last week it seemed I was running around gathering stuff between the hours that my wife left for work and before she came home.  I had to run around, buy food and supplies, and get back into my regular lounging-around-the-house clothes by the time she got home so she wouldn't realize I was running around all day buying worms.

My plan went fairly well and she even bought my cover story, that we were going to see my grandma in the nursing home.  That story was actually too believable.  While I was mowing the lawn the night before our departure, my wife baked a fancy cake and bought a houseplant all for my dear grandma that we weren't actually going to see.  So, being the resourceful person that I am, since this trip was a surprise birthday trip, I grabbed some candles and decided she just baked her own birthday cake.  Now in the past, I have tricked family members into wrapping their own presents, this is the first time I had someone bake their own cake.

The good news is, my wife was happily surprised and not mad that she baked a fancy cake...for herself, and a cute houseplant got to go on a road trip.  The place we stayed was huge!  At first it was overwhelming and even deciding what bedroom to sleep in resulted in an hour long dilemma.  The irony was, that with this gigantic lake house at our disposal, we basically only really hung out in two rooms.  Even though the fishing was non-productive this weekend, I was able to sneak her favorite camera into the car, so what she didn't catch in fish, she made up for in pictures.

As for me, the topography surrounding a house built on a slope next to a lake and some in progress repairs on the front porch, compounded by the amount of stuff we had to haul in and out, really stressed my incision.  In my usual stubbornness, I didn't bother to take any precautions as I was rappelling down to the cabin from the car with loads of luggage and groceries...and worms.  After climbing up and down the hill, loading and unloading the car, and fishing, and just walking to the lake, luckily, I feel great.  So, even though this was a trip for my wife, it ended up being a boost for my own morale as well.  One more sign that this cancer stuff is getting further and further behind me.

So, I don't have to sneak around buying worms anymore, and I don't have to worry about all the people that were in on my wife's surprise trip slipping up and spilling the beans.  I did a bunch of stuff I shouldn't have physically this weekend, and I am none the worse for it.  Although with the storms, it wasn't the best trip, but it was still pretty good!

No comments:

Post a Comment